New Employee On-Boarding
New Employee On-boarding is an approach through which new employees are welcomed and integrated into their new work environment. On-boarding serves many purposes including:
- Introducing new employees to departmental/school/division goals, policies, procedures and protocols.
- Conveying the supervisor’s/manager’s expectations.
- Assisting employees in developing quality working relationships with colleagues, managers, students, and staff.
- Addressing the uncertainties of new employees' experiences in the early stages of employment.
- Providing employees access to information and resources necessary to ease their transition into the department.
- Providing critical knowledge in order for new employees to be successful in their new role.
In short, an effective on-boarding process will most often lead to a happy and productive employee.
At LAUSD, the on-boarding process begins prior to the first day on the job when the newly hired employee attends a pre-hire processing appointment, continues through the new employee’s first days as she or he gets situated at the office and attends our new employee orientation, and extends through the next months as the new employee gains clarity in the new role and moves ahead in his or her job.
As a supervisor/manager, your role in the on-boarding process is a crucial one, as you are counted upon to welcome your new employee, introduce him or her to the culture and values of LAUSD, explain what is expected of him or her, and supervise his or her employment and experience.
We invite you to learn more by visiting the links on the right hand side of the screen.